Brutal punishments which have been listed and mentioned in the Garuda Purana are so barbarous and roughshod that no reader of the Purana would wish to get punished with those penalties of their souls after death. Penalties of the Garuda Purana are described as ‘The Torments of Yama’ as per the conversation of lord Vishnu and Garuda. Here is the list of 28 Garuda Purana Punishments described in the book :
PUNISHMENT 1: Tamisram (Heavy Flogging)
- CRIME: People who try to take the possession over others property (wealth, money, land, houses, jewellery) exercising unacceptable acts such as robbing, surcharging with interests etc., would be punished with this punishment by god of death Yamraj’s retainers and cast them into the Naraka (hell) known as Tamisram.
- PUNISHMENT: Souls which have been confined to the Tamisram Naraka (hell) would be thrashed until the victim gets bleed and fainted and end of their time period in the hell.
PUNISHMENT 2: Andhatamtrsam (Flogging)
- CRIME: Soulmates, husbands and wives who cheat their partners in the relationship are punished with this Andhatamtrsam penalty. Perhaps most of the people during this modern times may get punished with this penalty as very often we go through a story of divorce and many other unethical practices of relationship who treat their partners well when there is a need of them for profits or pleasure.
- PENALTY: Most of penalties under the Andhatamtrsam are similar to that of Tamisram while it involves the agonizing thrashes by tying up victims fast with ropes and making them fall down unconscious circulation in abyss.
PUNISHMENT 3: Rauravam (Torments of Snakes)
- CRIME: Enjoying others property or resources with through possession
- PUNISHMENT: Tortured with the serpents, thrown into the hell of Rauravam where the people they have cheated assume the shape of “Ruru”, a dreadful serpent, torment them severely until their time is up.
PUNISHMENT 4: Mahararuravam (Death by Snakes)
- CRIME: Destroying other property, Denial of legitimate heirs, inheritance and possession of others property, Brutally destroying other’s property and family for the sake of acquisition,
- PUNISHMENT: Squeezing and nonstop biting of sinners with snakes with extreme and violent energy and coiling around them.
PUNISHMENT 5: Kumbhipakam (cooked by oil)
- CRIME: Killing animals for pleasure,
- PENALTY: Throwing accused souls to huge boiling vessels
PUNISHMENT 6: Kalasutram (Hot as hell)
- CRIME: Disrespecting, torturing and putting elders & parents in starvation
- PENALTY: Sinners are made to run around in unbearable heat and drop down exhausted from time to time and are made to undergo similar treatment as they did to their elders.
PUNISHMENT 7: Asitapatram (sharp flogging)
- CRIME: Abandon, giving up one’s own duty, abetting god and violate dharma practices
- PENALTY: Flogged with whips made of asipatra (sharp-edged sword-shaped leaves), stabbed with knives until sinners drop unconscious, tortured by evil spirits resulting fear and repeating the similar process.
PUNISHMENT 8: Sukaramukham (Crushed and tormented)
- CRIME: Disregarding duties and persecute their subjects by misrule, punishing innocent people and accomplice unlawful activities
- PENALTY: Sinners are crushed to pulp by heavy beating, grinded under the sharp teeth of an animal and repeated until their time is up.
PUNISHMENT 9: Andhakupam ( Attack of the animals)
- CRIME: Discouraging and not helping needy despite having the resources, oppressing good people, torturing lives and inhuman activities
- PENALTY: Biting by wild animals, run over by wild animals, pushed into a well of beasts like Lions, tigers, eagles and venomous creatures like snakes and scorpions. Sinners had to endure the constant attacks of these creatures until the expiry of the period of their punishment.
PUNISHMENT 10: Taptamurti or Agnikundam (Burnt Alive)
- CRIME: Stealing, snatching other’s property by force, steal gold and jewels care cast into the furnaces of this Naraka and gaining undue advantage and unlawfully making best out of everything in the world
- PENALTY: Sinners are roasted in inverted positions with hands and legs tied over fire
PUNISHMENT 11: Krimibhojanam (Food for worms)
- CRIME: Dishonoring guests, Using people for self-needs and gains, eating and benefitting from other’s work
- PENALTY: Sinners are subjected to worms, insects and serpents which would eat their souls and bodies until the punishment period ends with the continuous process. Insects are left intruding the body.
PUNISHMENT 12: Salmali (Embracing hot images)
- CRIME: Committing adultery (men and women), unchaste relationships with kamukas
- PENALTY: Hot solid figures of gadha’s (maces, clubs) made of iron are heated red-hot and thrashed on genital space, Yama’s servants flog the victim behind.
PUNISHMENT 13: Vajrakantakasali or Vajrakandaka (Embracing Sharp images)
- CRIME: Unnatural intercourse with animals, humans, unmatching people, forced sexual contacts
- PENALTY: Embrace, physical hugging of fire spitting idols, full of sharp diamond needles which would pierce through their bodies.
PUNISHMENT 14: Vaitarani (River of Filth)
- CRIME: Abusing with their powers and adulterers, misusing the official and rulers stature to attain undue advantage and acting against dharma
- PENALTY: Submerging victims and souls in a river filled with human excreta, blood, hair, bones, nails, flesh and all kinds of dirty substances where various kinds of terrible beasts who attack and mauled by these creatures from all sides. Added to this sinners have to spend the term of their punishment, feeding upon the contents of this river.
PUNISHMENT 15: Puyodakam (Well of hell)
- CRIME: Men having intercourse and cheating women with no intentions of marrying, treating womens cruelly like animals during sexual intercourse,
- PENALTY: Thrown in polluted well with excreta, urine, blood, phlegm, biting by poisonous insects and animals and remain until their time is up.
PUNISHMENT 16: Pranarodham (Piece by Piece)
- CRIME: Torture and kill animals for food.
- PENALTY: Limbs and life organs of sinner slashed by the Yama kinkaras (servants of lord yama) with arrows.
PUNISHMENT 17: Visasanam (Bashing from Clubs)
- CRIME: Rich people torturing poor and boasting the wealth and splendour without helping the needy
- PENALTY: Non-stop bashing from heavy clubs from Yama’s servants until their punishment term ends.
PUNISHMENT 18: Lalabhaksam (River of semen)
- CRIME: Lust men/wife torturing their soulmate/partner, unchaste intercourse, forcing wife/husband to swallow genital liquid (semen / white discharge)
- PENALTY: Accused souls thrown in river of semen, feeding upon semen alone until his period of punishment
PUNISHMENT 19: Sarameyasanam (Torment from dogs)
- CRIME: Unsocial acts of poisoning food, mass slaughter, ruining the country, gutting houses, torturing lives, involving in massacre
- PENALTY: Sinners casted in hell with thousands of dogs attacking and tearing their flesh with teath until their term ends, torture by wild animals
PUNISHMENT 20: Avichi (turned into dust)
- CRIME: Claiming false witness and false swearing, false evidence
- PENALTY: Sinners submerged and tortured in live bodies, hurled from a great height and are utterly smashed into dust as they reached the ground this is repeated until time period ends.
PUNISHMENT 21: Ayahpanam (Drinking of burning substances)
- CRIME: Drinking Alcohol, other intoxicating drinks,
- PENALTY: Women made to drink liquid form of melted iron, men made to drink drink hot liquid molten lava
PUNISHMENT 22: Raksobjaksam (Revenge attacks)
- CRIME: Brutally killing animals, human sacrifices, eating flesh/meat after sacrificing
- PENALTY: Killed animals during the lifetime are allowed to attack, bit and maul sinners whose cries and complaints would be no avail here.
PUNISHMENT 23: Sulaprotam (Trident Torture)
- CRIME: Causing harm and deceiving others by treachery, killing innocent people, masterminding people, committing suicide and betraying a person’s trust
- PENALTY: Birds peck, shula (impaled on a trident) are used to torture, made to suffer with intense hunger and thirst, as well as enduring all the tortures inflicted on them.
PUNISHMENT 24: Ksharakardamam (hanged upside down)
- CRIME: Insulting good people and involving in bad activities and defaming elders and living with selfish motives, bragging
- PENALTY: Life organs are tortured hanging sinners upside down and torture by the evil unknown spirits in many ways
PUNISHMENT 25: Dandasukam (eaten alive)
- CRIME: Persecuting others like animals,
- PENALTY: Eaten alive by beasts
PUNISHMENT 26: Vatarodham (weapon torture)
- CRIME: Persecuting animals living in forests, mountain peaks and trees
- PENALTY: Handcuffed and tortured with fire, poison and various weapons
PUNISHMENT 27: Paryavartanakam (torture from birds)
- CRIME: Denying food to hungry person and abusing destitute
- PENALTY: Birds like the crows and eagles pierce eyes of sinners.
PUNISHMENT 28: Sucimukham (Tortured by needles)
- CRIME: Not doing good and amassing wealth by wrong doings and stealing wealth, not buying
- PENALTY: Stinging with nails and torturing with hunger and thirst, constantly pricked and pierced by needles.